Wine has played an important role since the culture of the ancient Greeks. People have placed such a high value on wine that it is acknowledged to have been used by Greek philosophers as a social lubricant when discussing important topics.
Even today, wine is still widely regarded with such a high importance that it is now almost an indispensable part of culture and heritage, not only in America but all over the world.
Wine enthusiasts exist everywhere. You will find them in the United States, Europe, Asia, and on basically every continent. Everywhere, there are wine connoisseurs who want a dedicated storage space for preserving their wine collection and ensuring that the flavors and aromas stay as rich as possible. This is where wine coolers come in.
Before wine coolers were invented, people had to make do with storing their wine in refrigerators and other storage units that are less ideal for the purpose of storing wine.
Over time, people have gradually come to the realization that wine should be stored in the best conditions possible for it to retain its flavor while also naturally maturing. Wine coolers are now more widely preferred than mini fridges as far as storing wine is concerned.
Choosing the best wine cooler
There are so many wine coolers on the market today that it’s increasingly becoming more difficult to keep track of them. Choosing the best wine cooler today is not an easy feat since you have to consider many factors.
Each appliance boasts different features and capacities that there is sure to be a cooler that can cater to your needs. So how do you choose which is the best? Here are some of the factors to consider in deciding which one to purchase
According to the number of cooling zones
How much storage space do you need for your wine collection? Are you planning to store both varieties of wine or only one? Your answers to these questions will determine which type of cooler will suit you best.
- Single-zone cooling—If you’re a beginner in collecting wines and storing them, then a single-zone cooler is more likely to suit you because it’s simpler and more cost-effective. A single-zone cooler, as its name suggests, only has one area for cooling and one temperature control. This means you can only store one type of wine at a time for optimal results.
- Dual-zone cooling—If your wine collection is varied, then dual-zone cooling is for you. Unlike its counterpart, this one has two cooling zones and two different temperature controls. This means that you can store both red and white wines in one wine cooler at the same time.
According to the type of structure
You can also choose between the two types of wine cooler structures, depending on where you’re planning to put your wine cooler.
- Freestanding coolers—These are standalone units that you can place anywhere, as long as you allot two to four inches of space between the back of the cooler and any solid wall or partition.
- Built-in coolers—Unlike their counterparts, built-in coolers can be integrated with kitchen cabinets because their ventilation system is placed in front and not at the back.
What to look for in a good wine cooler
Wine storage may sound simple but there are actually many factors that need to be considered to ensure that everything falls into place. These are some of the aspects of a wine cooler that you need to consider before buying one.
Wine bottles are stored on their side for two main reasons: 1) to preserve the wine sediments and enhance the flavor, and 2) to keep the cork moist so the bottle remains airtight.
Wine needs to be stored in the ideal temperature range; otherwise, it will lose its quality and flavor.
This factor can have a significant effect on how wine maintains its flavor and aroma. When a wine bottle is constantly disturbed, it causes vibrations that in turn agitate the sediment and eventually spoil the wine. Get a wine cooler that can minimize noise and vibrations.
NewAir AWR-290DB Compact 29 Bottle Compressor Wine Cooler
What can be said about the NewAir wine cooler except that it is of absolutely top quality in terms of features, functionalities, and overall structure? It has everything you need in a wine cooler, and more!
- Product dimensions: 22.5” x 14.9” x 33.8”
- Item weight: 74 lbs.
- Shipping weight: 94 pounds
- Comes with adjustable beech wood shelves
- Comes with a blue lighting that illuminates the interior of the wine cooler
- Measures only 15” in width
- Features dual temperature zones
- Features minimal vibrations to ensure a quiet operation and to preserve wine sediments
- Features a novel storage technology that keeps 29 bottles of wine readily accessible on sliding
- Features a double-paned glass and a locking door that can protect your wine collection from UV rays
The NewAir AWR-290DB Wine Cooler is a single unit that is small and compact enough to be kept in a corner of the kitchen or any room. However, that doesn’t mean that it can’t hold a significant number of wine bottles. In fact, it has enough room to accommodate up to 29 regular-sized bottles of red and white wines. Although it actually looks small outside, it is actually quite roomy inside.
An issue that needs clarification is that of the no-vibration claim that NewAir makes about its wine cooler. It’s not possible for a wine cooler to have zero vibrations because there will always be sound and movement that can cause disturbances in the air, no matter how imperceptible.
As such, by “no vibrations,” NewAir means that noise and vibrations are significantly minimized so that they no longer serve as a threat to the quality of the wine.
The NewAir Wine Cooler is a must-have for all wine aficionados who want a compact, practical, efficient, and sleek storage space for their wine collection. You don’t have to look any further than this.
Ivation 12 Bottle Thermoelectric Red and White Wine Cooler
The Ivation Wine Cooler undoubtedly fosters the best environment with the most ideal conditions for wine storage. It has a consistent temperature, which can preserve the quality and richness of your wine collection. This brand has everything you need in a wine cooler.
- Rated power: 65W
- Temperature range: 54°-64°F (12°-18°C)
- Unit dimensions: 13.5” x 20” x 25.4” (34.5 cm x 50.8 cm x 64.5 cm)
- Net weight: 32 lbs. (14.5 kg)
- Gross weight: 36 lbs. (16.4 kg)
- Comes insulated with a CFC-free solid polyurethane heavy foam
- Comes with thermopane doors
- Comes with a built-in energy-efficient thermoelectric cooling system with no compressor to minimize noise and vibrations, allowing the wine to age and settle properly with no disturbance to its naturally occurring sediments
- Features a soft interior lighting with ON/OFF controls
- Features a sleek design with exterior digital touch controls and LCD temp
- Features a new technology that guarantees no vibration and total quiet
- Features consistent temperature to protect the quality and the taste of the wine
- Features a novel storage technology that maintains constant humidity and keeps the cork from drying out to prevent air from coming in contact with the wine
- Features a tight door seal that blocks sunlight and harmful UV rays that break down the complex molecules that create the special flavors in properly aged wines
The thing about the Ivation wine cooler is that it maintains a stable temperature, which means that you can store wine in it without having to worry about your wine’s original texture and quality being ruined. As you know, in wine tasting, temperature is everything. A well-matured wine is useless if stored at the wrong temperature.
Also, the Ivation Wine Cooler is insulated with a solid polyurethane CFC-free heavy foam that blocks the entry of sunlight and UV rays. Its smoke-tempered thermopane doors make the interior odor-free and adequately humidified.
This wine cooler is also built with an energy-efficient thermoelectric cooling system with no compressor, which means that noise and vibrations are effectively minimized, if not eliminated.
The only issue that should concern you about the Ivation wine cooler is the fact that the shelves don’t have any safety feature to keep the bottles from sliding once they’re put in place. Also, the controls are too complicated to the point that using them can become tedious. It would be good if the company could do something about these issues in the near future.
It’s clear that the Ivation wine cooler should be at the top of your list. It has all the right features that you may need in an efficient wine cooler, plus a few more.
Magic Chef MCWC6B 6 Bottle Countertop Wine Cooler
If you’re on the lookout for the best wine cooler in the market today, then the Magic Chef Bottle Countertop should be on your radar. This product has everything you need to properly store your wine: optimal temperature, minimal noise and vibrations, and a proper interior lighting that provides an ideal environment for wine storage.
- Temperature Range: 46°-64°F
- Can comfortably hold up to 6 wine bottles
- Comes with a black door, black cabinet, and sculpted chrome shelves
- Features quiet thermoelectric cooling
- Features interior lighting and recessed handle
The Magic Chef Wine Cooler features a full-range temperature control that keeps your finest red and white wines chilled at the most ideal temperature possible. You can also easily shift the temperature to your liking anytime. Indeed, you won’t regret buying this wine cooler even for a second. This is one of those products that you’d be happy to spend money on because it’s just that great!
If there’s one thing to be said about the Magic Chef Wine Cooler, it’s the fact that, sometimes, it produces a slight noise that some people may find unsettling. Still, this issue is a personal one and should therefore not be taken as a general problem that can plague everyone.
For an affordable price, this product is a great steal! You get all the top features of a first-rate wine cooler for a small price. How cool is that? Indeed, if you’re in need of a wine cooler, you shouldn’t look any further than this.
Wine Enthusiast 18 Bottle Dual Zone Wine Cooler
One look at the Wine Enthusiast Wine Cooler and you can immediately see the amount of time, preparation, and passion that was put into crafting it. This product is one of the best ones you will find on the market today, so you can make sure that you’re getting only a top-tier product.
- Item Weight: 36 lbs.
- Product Dimensions: 20.2” x 9.9” x 37.5”
- Color: Black
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Material Type: Glass
- Features an energy-efficient and thermoelectric CFC
- Features two zones that can accommodate up to 18 wine bottles
- Top zone has an adjustable temperature range of 54°-66°F
- Bottom zone has an adjustable temperature range of 46°-66°F
- Has a maximum ambient temperature of 77°F
- Comes with an interior LED lighting
- Comes with 7 pull-out chrome shelves
- Comes with an exterior digital touchscreen with temperature display
- Features a reflective smoked glass thermopane door with stainless steel trim
The Wine Enthusiast Wine Cooler features two zones, one for reds and another for whites. This means that it also has two temperature controls so that you can regulate the temperature for each type of wine.
As you know, temperature is everything when it comes to wine storage. It won’t matter that your wine has properly matured if you don’t store it in a proper place with the right temperature.
The only thing you have to keep in mind before buying this product is that it’s freestanding, which means that you can’t integrate it with other appliances and furniture. As a standalone unit, the Wine Enthusiast Wine Cooler has its ventilation system located at the back, so you should make sure that there’s 2-4” between the back of the unit and any solid structure like a wall for proper air circulation.
If you don’t mind dealing with the small issues that come with this product, then you should be just fine. You’ll see that you have a great product in the Wine Enthusiast Wine Cooler. It has everything you need to store your wine collection without ruining it.
Koldfront 18 Bottle Free Standing Dual Zone Wine Cooler
Are you a wine aficionado looking for a good wine cooler? Then here’s a useful advice for you: Consider the Koldfront dual-zone wine cooler. This product can satisfy your wine storage needs while also indulging your aesthetic sense. Check out the features below to see whether it is indeed the type of product you’re looking for.
- Weight: 35.3 pounds
- Input voltage: 115 v/60 Hz
- Power: 110 Watts, 1.0 Amps
- Dimensions: 25.33” x 14” x 22.25”
- Top zone temperature range: 54°-66°F
- Lower zone temperature range: 46°- 66°F
- Features a dual-zone cooling system
- Features a thermoelectric cooling system
- Features a control panel with LCD temperature display for both zones
- Comes with a safety lock
- Comes with a tempered glass door
- Comes only with freestanding installation and not meant for built-in use
- Comes with a 180° door swing that can be moved to remove shelving
- Specifically designed for standard-sized 750 ml 2.75” Bordeaux bottles but can still accommodate larger bottles when shelving is removed
The Koldfront Wine Cooler features two zones for storing both red and white wines. The top zone can have a temperature of 54°-66 °F while the lower zone has a temperature range of 46°-66°F. Both zones have a thermoelectric cooling system to ensure that both types of wines can be preserved.
Aside from this, the Koldfront Wine Cooler also has enough room to accommodate up to 18 wine bottles. If you need to place larger bottles in the cooler, you can remove the wood shelving and easily reconfigure the interior.
There’s no denying that the Koldfront wine cooler is imperfect, no matter how great of a product it is. For instance, this product can use some improvement in temperature regulation department. Koldfront can further develop its cooling system so that it can achieve an optimal temperature level for each zone.
Everything considered, the Koldfront Wine Cooler is without a doubt a premium product that wine enthusiasts the world over can truly appreciate. The amount of dedication put into making this product is immediately apparent the first time it’s used. If you’re looking for a great wine cooler that can do the job for you, you really should consider this product.
Choosing the wine cooler that best suits your needs is all about knowing which features and specifications to go for. Once you are able to answer the basic questions about the kind of wine and storage essentials that you need, you’ll be able to narrow down the choices in no time.
The trick is to do your research and check out how your choices are faring in the market and how each of its users feels about their purchase.